Conference & Event Speaking
Conference & event speaking is something I love to do, as learning at these events earlier in my career helped me grow considerably. Now, I can give back a bit by speaking at these events and sharing what I’ve learned, like I do on my blog. Primarily, the type of conference & event speaking topics I cover revolve around the following subjects:
- Business Development
- Business Consulting / Running an Organization
- Growth Strategies & Lead Generation
- Design & Branding
- Digital Project Management
- Digital Strategy
Oh, and if you’re wondering who the hell I am, you can read a bit more about me on my totally self-involved About page.
Conference & Event Speaking Engagements
Here are a few videos of past conference & event talks I’ve given – the majority of my engagements have not been recorded, but past events, topics, and their decks are all available a bit further down.
Inside the Black Box of Web Design Pricing
Web design costs come in a huge range of shapes & sizes. Thanks to that range, clients can struggle with understanding why websites cost what they do, and freelancers/shops can struggle with how to price their services. This talk, given in 2014, covers how to understand and solve that problem: the thought processes, variables, logic, and math that goes into pricing custom web design & development from the perspective of someone who’s grown from a two-person home-based business to (at the time) a 6-person shop.
The Brand Lighthouse
Everything you do on social media should come back to one key point: your brand. It is the fundamental map for your actions and growth. The term “brand” is oft-misunderstood; in this talk, given in 2014, I cover what a brand actually means, methods to build a brand online, and how to manage it.
Branding vs. Logo Design (Panel)
This is an oldie, from 2012. Capital Ideas was an initiative in Edmonton designed to operate like a startup, offering content events for entrepreneurs in Edmonton. In this panel, we discussed the difference between holistic branding and straight-up logo design.
Past Conference & Event Talks
Below are a few past conference & event speaking engagements I’ve been a part of. Where available, each link will take you offsite to the individual slide deck on my SpeakerDeck page.
- ATBX 2019: Building a Better Salescycle
- iMEDIA 2019: How to Plan a High-Value Lead Gen Campaign
- Edmonton Digital Arts College: Grad 2019 Commencement Speech
- iMEDIA 2018: Better Digital Project Management with Project Boards
- University of Alberta 2018: The Blunt Realities of Running a Design Agency
- Digital Project Managers YEG 2017: How We Run Successful Web Projects
- WordCamp Calgary 2016: How We Run Successful WordPress Projects
- ConFoo 2016: How We Run Successful Web Projects
- ConFoo 2016: Inside the Black Box of Web Design Pricing
- iMEDIA 2016: Lessons from a Tweeting Robot Gone Viral
- University of Alberta 2015: What’s Your Proof?
- World iA Day 2015: People First: Making Products Better by Truly Understanding Your Users
- UXCamp 2015: Emotional Design: From Client Management through Product Launch (Panel)
- UXCamp 2013: Lean UX (Panel)
- BlogWest 2012: How to Evaluate & Improve Your Blog Design
- WordCamp Edmonton 2011: Typography & the State of the Web Today
- WordCamp Edmonton 2011: Designing Client-Focused WordPress Sites